I’ve been working on my future cafe menu, and I am doing my best to meet the needs of a wide range of people and their ‘diets.’ Many of my past students with special needs had and still have food allergies or sensitives to certain foods. Reactions range from rashes to behavior challenges, so it’s important to me to make sure to have homemade options on the menu that are dairy free, no meat, etc. I have purchased multiple vegan baking books, recipe magazines, etc. I tend to utilize many of these outlets but some how still tweak recipes to make them more my cup of tea.
This soup is purely vegetarian. It’s made with fresh veggies and herbs and spices. Don’t worry, I’ve included a few short cuts to help you during the process.
Ingredients: (serves 8 to 10)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 small bag of Yukon gold potatoes chopped
- 1 bag of lentils
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of diced garlic
- 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 8 oz of chopped kale
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 8 cups veggie broth
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- Using a Crock-pot or large stove pot pour in the olive oil, garlic and diced yellow onion. Let it heat up and cook for a little while until barely sauteed.
- Pour in the broth and tomato paste. Stir until well blended.
- Add in the celery, carrots, potatoes and lentils (make sure all veggies are washed and cleaned before adding to the soup).
- Sprinkle in the salt and pepper, paprika, coriander and ground cumin (to taste) and stir (let it come to a boil if using the stove top).
- Add in the chopped kale and then cover.
- If you are using a crock-pot, cook on high for 6 to 8 hours. If you are using the stove top, cook at medium high heat (low boil) for 3 to 5 hours (may need to go down to medium low heat once boiling).
- Make sure to stir occasionally and taste. You may want to add more seasoning depending on your taste buds.
Hope you enjoy this soup as much as I do. It’s pleasing to the nose and the body. Hoping to bring you more enjoyable dishes that benefit your health and is simple to make.