Yes this recipe is tasty even though it is a vegetarian recipe. Most people assume that if it’s all natural, organic and vegetarian that it probably doesn’t taste that good. Well, this will have you questioning that belief. The mixture of sweetness from the cinnamon flavored sweet potatoes and raisins verses the tangyness from the mustard flavored dressing and onion will send your taste buds into a frenzy. Now I can’t say that its vegan mainly because there is honey in the dressing, but boy is it close. I hope you enjoy these flavors as much as I do.
Serving Size: 4 to 6
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 to 3 cups cooked Quinoa
- 6 cups Spinach and Arugula salad mix
- 1 Red Onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup of Walnuts or Pecans
- 1 cup of Raisins or Craisins
- 2 to 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 to 4 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1 to 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 clove Garlic finely chopped or 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and peel/skin sweet potatoes. Cut them into small cubes and place in medium size bowl. Add the olive oil and salt and pepper. Make sure sweet potato cubes are coated well with olive oil, salt and pepper before spreading onto the baking sheet.
- Bake sweet potatoes for 45 to 50 minutes in the oven.
- While sweet potatoes bake, whisk together Salad Dressing Ingredients to your liking. Cover and set it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Boil the quinoa in a medium sauce pan with 4 quarts water for 10 minuntes.
- Drain the water from the quinoa and let it cool in a medium bowl.
- Wash and dry spinach and arugula and place in large bowl.
- Peel a red onion and thinly slice before adding it to the leafy greens.
- Sprinkle in preferred nuts and raisins.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and sprinkle them with cinnamon. Let them cool before mixing them with the cooked quinoa.
- Add a small amount of the dressing to the sweet potato and quinoa mix and stir until well blended.
- Add the remainder of the dressing to the salad portion and mix well. Serve in bowls and top with sweet potato and quinoa mix.
Enjoy a sweet and tangy vegetarian mix while indulging in great conversations with loved ones. Tasty and healthy, such a win, win!
Thanks for the inspiration SkinnyMs blog. You came up with a great recipe that I tweaked just a bit :). It’s one for the recipe book. And it’s such a great one to save for the fall season!