Another tasty treat from the tearoom to your home. Enjoy the smell of the sweet brown sugar, oats and plum fruit as it bakes so nicely in the oven. No nuts are involved in the making of this recipe just a delicious, crispy scone topped with yumminess. I hope you enjoy this sugary sweet scone as much as I do.
1 and 1/2 cups of Flour
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup of Oats
1 tbsp of Baking Powder
1/2 tsp of Salt
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1 stick of frozen shredded butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tsp of vanilla extract
1/4 cup greek yogurt
1/2 cup diced plums
1 tbsp of plum jam
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp clear vanilla extract
1 – 3 tbsp of heavy cream
Sprinkle topping – optional
2 tbsp flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp butter (melted)
2 tbsp oats
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray tray with nonstick cooking spray.
3. In a large bowl, sift the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Then add in the oats.
4. Using a cheese grater (large holes) grate one stick of butter and blend until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. I strongly recommend using a cheese grater to cut the frozen butter. It is so much easier. Here is the one I used. I do get compensation if you click on this link and order. Cuisinart CTG-00-BG Boxed Grater
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, heavy cream, yogurt, plum jam and vanilla extract.
6. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
7. Gently add in the diced plum.
8. Pat the dough out into a circular shape that is about 1 inch thick. Cut into 6 – 8 equal wedges (use a pizza cutter).
9. Arrange the wedges on your baking sheet or scone pan. Using a basting brush, brush some heavy whipping cream over the tops of the scones.
10. Bake scones for 12 – 14 minutes or until light golden brown.
11. Remove from the oven and allow to cool while you mix the glaze.
12. To make the glaze, add the powdered sugar and vanilla into a small bowl.
13. Add the heavy whipping cream slowly (one tbsp at a time) until the mixture is easily pour-able but not runny. Drizzle the glaze over the scones.
13. To make the sprinkled topping, melt the butter in a small pan. Add in brown sugar, flour and oats until well blended and crumble like. Sprinkle brown sugar topping over the glazed scones and enjoy!
Sugar Plum Scones by PeachPearPlum