Originally I was going to do a pear and dark chocolate scone, but all the batches I made just didn’t do anything for me. I then began racking my brain of ingredients that would go well with pears… cinnamon, ginger, etc. The list went on but then the light bulb went off and my taste buds watered as the word caramel came to mind. Caramelized pears are a perfect flavor for these unique and tasty scones!
2 cups flour sifted
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup of butter (or 1 stick of frozen butter)
1/4 cup vanilla greek yogurt
1/4 cup heavy cream
Caramelized Pears Ingredients:
1 cup diced pears
4 tbsp butter (1/2 stick)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 small jar of caramel (or you can make your own using butter and brown sugar)
1. Prep an area with a mat and pan with parchment paper.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Sift the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Set to the side.
4. Melt a 1/2 stick of butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat. When it begins to foam, sprinkle in 1/2 cup of brown sugar over the top and cook until bubbling and dissolved (about 3 mins).
5. Add in the pears to the caramel sauce and let cook. Rarely stir the mixture until caramelized and pears begin to release their juices.
6. Sprinkle in the cinnamon and stir again. Turn the stove off and let the caramelized pears cool.
7. In a small bowl, whip together the heavy cream, egg and vanilla greek yogurt. Then mix it into the dry ingredients/batter.
8. Grate the frozen stick of butter and add it into the batter.
9. Fold in the cooled caramelized pears into the batter. Place batter mixture onto mat and gently press it out into the shape of a log.
10. Using a pizza cutter or dough cutter, slice it into 6 to 8 pieces similar in size.
11. Once all the pieces are sliced, transport them onto the tray and lightly brush them with heavy cream.
12. Bake them in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes (until golden or until you can slide a toothpick in and out of the scone and it comes out clean).
13. Once scones are cooled, drizzle caramel sauce over the top and serve.
Hope you enjoy these delicious scones 🙂