This recipe was an unexpected treat this weekend. My husband was craving some of my scones but the only fresh fruit we had left was blueberries. I also had the leftover cream cheese filling from my red velvet macaron recipe (those are delicious as well). That’s when a great idea came to my mind… Blueberry Cream Cheese Scones. Doesn’t it sound oh so delicious? I always see these bread recipes with a cream cheese filling, so I thought why not do it in a scone. So here is a simple yet perfectly tasteful scone recipe for you and your family to enjoy.
2 and 1/4 cups flour
⅓ cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 stick of butter (frozen and grated)
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ cup blueberry greek yogurt or sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup blueberry jam
½ cup fresh blueberries
3 tbsp cream cheese filling
|Cream Cheese Filling
2 tbsp butter (room temp)
3 oz cream cheese (room temp)
¼ tsp vanilla extract
¾ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400’
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. If the brown sugar doesn’t go through the sifter you just dump it in just make sure its mixed well.
- Using a cheese grater (large holes) grate one stick of butter and blend until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, heavy cream, yogurt, vanilla extract and blueberry jam.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in the fresh blueberries (it’s fine if some get smushed).
- Carefully add in the cream cheese filling. Don’t over blend it but make sure you don’t have large sections of it.
- Pat the dough out into a rectangular shape (like a flat log) that is about 1 inch thick. Cut into 6 – 8 equal wedges (you can use a pizza cutter).
- Arrange the wedges on your baking sheet or scone pan. Using a basting brush, brush some heavy whipping cream over the tops of the scones.
- Bake scones for 12 – 14 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before enjoying.
Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed!
2 thoughts on “Blueberry and Cream Cheese Scones”
In the scone zone! You’re killing me!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’m not going to lie, these are even better than the peach ones